It is the generosity of more than 1300 volunteers that allows Nutrition for Learning to happen!
We look for enthusiastic and caring individuals whose first priority is the well-being of the Student Nutrition Program participants.
There are a variety of volunteer positions available, with opportunities to develop skills in safe food handling & first aid as well as nutrition, team work and working with children.
VOLUNTEER OF THE MONTH
Smithson Public School is currently in their third year of operation. They serve between 15-30 students, five days a week. Not only do they serve a sit down Breakfast, they also prepare in-class Breakfast bags for those students who are bused to school. Smithson is currently going through a leadership transition and Margaret Shoesmith has been extremely instrumental through this process. She has taken on a great leadership role to make sure students are fed each morning. Through Margret’s strong leadership and mentoring to other volunteers they have been very successful. Margaret donates many hours each week – preparing, serving breakfast, purchasing groceries and managing the volunteer schedule. Margaret has taken steps to enhance the menu selection by meeting with our student Dietetic Technician. Margaret, you are without a doubt making a difference at Smithson Public School. On behalf of the students, volunteers and school staff, I thank you for your continuous hard work and dedication to this program. (Carolyn Graham – Principal – Smithson P.S)
• The time of day will vary with each program site and your personal schedule
• Approximately one day a week, one hour a day
• We ask that volunteers make at least a one–year commitment to a Student Nutrition Program. Programs generally run from September to June.
• Must be 14+ years in order to volunteer without adult supervision
• Excited to promote healthy choices to those who participate in the programs
• Have an understanding of the importance of the Student Nutrition Programs